Medicines for PSP

Moderators: cstokes, Moderator

Medicines for PSP

Postby simasmom » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:28 pm

Hello All. I am still reading & learning from this forum.The doctors at Mayo prescribed Sinemet for my hubby. I know it doesn't help everyone. He has been taking it a little over 3 weeks & no change that I can tell. I am sure it must be too soon to tell. He was also put on Vitamins C , B100, E, & CoQ10 and told to eat as many foods that are high in anti-oxidants as he can.He takes 2 Ativan at night to calm him down & help him sleep . He just started on Flomax to help him not have to get up to urinate at night so much.The Flomax has helped a lot.We use a gel eyedrop to comfort his eyes. What other meds are being prescribed & have they helped any? Barbara wife of Marshall dx 1/03/05
simasmom

Postby Marsha » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:11 pm

I'm interested about the Flomax. I just came from my Mom. She says to me today that she gets up every two hours during the night because she feels she has to pee. Yet when on the pot she says it's a drop or two. Does your husband actually go alot or does he just have the same urge as my Mom? I wonder if the Flomax might help her.
Marsha
Marsha

Postby chrissetee » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:14 pm

Hi Simasmom,

The doctor put my mom on some form of bladder control also........what a relief. She used to get up 20 times a night to pee 2 drops and the worry was always the fall on the way to the bathroom. Even a commode didn't help the falling on the way to the 2 drop pee station. Now, she gets up maybe once or twice a night. Also, she doesn't drink as much water as she used to as a major complaint was that she was thirsty all the time. So, I think it's worth a try. It has relieved much anxiety for us and I'm sure is a big relief for the PwPSP.

Take care of yourself.
chrissetee

Postby Marsha » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:35 pm

I just did a search on Flomax and discovered this drug is only for men. Christee, maybe you can find out what drug your Mom is on for bladder control and let me know.

Marsha
Marsha

Postby simasmom » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:38 pm

Hi Marsha: The Flomax is usually prescribed for men with prostate problems.My husband hasn't been examined for that, but from his symptoms, our family doctor suggested we give it a try.Prior to taking it, he was up 5 or 6 times a night & now usually only gets up once.It seemed to be worse when he was stressed or anxious. We drove to Jacksonville FL the day before his 6:45 AM appointment at Mayo & that night he must have gotten up at least 15 times to go to the bathroom. He started on the Flomax after we got home & saw our family doctor. The doctor warned us that one of the side effects was dizziness & said if that occurred to stop the med. But so far he hasn't seen any increase in that. No other side effects have been noted either.
simasmom

Postby momppsp » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:02 pm

Barbara: Mom is 8 years, Stage 4, in with the horrible disease and we have run the gamit of meds for PSP. Sorry to say all she is on is Effexor and valium(tranqulizers and anti-depression meds). She was on Senimet for about 1 1/2 months but to no avail. The doctor said if it was going to help we should see results within the first week. It has been nothing with Bacolefen, Aricept, Senimet, Paxil, etc. to many to remember.
I urge you to do a search(upper righthand of screan) of this site, for Senimet due to so many patients that have used it. That way you can make a accurate decision on whether to continue.

I was willing to try anything for a trial run, in hopes it might help. In mom, it hasn't and we have come to terms with the disease and our option is to make her as comfortable as possible.

Hugs to you and your family
momppsp

Postby chrissetee » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:15 pm

Hi there,

The medicine my mom is on to control her urge to go to the bathroom is called......alendronate fosmax.

Hope this helps, it sure helped mom.
chrissetee

Postby Pauline in Maine » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:27 pm

My husband also has the problem of thinking he has to go and then does not (not even a drop!). He does not stand or walk, so I chase him with the urinal. I told him that when he gets over this, he has to buy me a charm bracelet with a sterling silver urinal on it. [:D]

Part of his problem is that he does not know if he has to go or not, but does not dare pass up what he thinks is the "urge". Will have to present this problem to his doctor at his next appointment May 19th and see what he thinks about any medication to help.

Pauline
Pauline in Maine

Postby Hurt » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:06 pm

My mom is on Ditropan for the bathroom issue. She takes one in the morning and one at night -- seems to control the urge and when she goes - she goes. She is on Lorazapam at night for anxiety - low dose, ambien for sleeping, mirapex for leg movements, was on Amatadine for energy which we switched to Provigil and hated it so we are on nothing. She takes Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin E, and that is about it. She may have Atonic Bladder -- so we are looking into that too -- where she does not completely void that is why an urge is still there.

Mom is 65 -- we are on about year 2 of this.
Hurt

Return to General PSP Discussion