VA Healthcare...

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

VA Healthcare...

Postby pearlmckee » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:21 pm

I am SOOOO angry with the VA system right now I could spit!!!

DH's PSP symptoms started ~ 1996 but, because of his stubborn streak I could NOT get him to the VA to sign on until 2004 when we moved here to TX. We filled out all of the paperwork and, because of our savings, he has to pay $25 for each office visit and $8 for each Rx...not a problem.

Well, March 26th he saw yet ANOTHER new primary care doc who ordered a modified barium swallow, a 4th follow-up with the neurologist at the VA Hosp. a 4 hour drive from here, and a consult with the physical therapy department. This doc feels like in about 2 years I'll either need help with him at home or he would need a nursing home.

We got the Ba Swallow done with aspiration of fluids only...thickeners and "therapy" suggested. We saw the physical therapist who set up twice a week therapy for a month with re-evaluation after that time. I have his U-step set so he leans SLIGHTLY forward and she thought it should be higher - I would educate her on the fact that he ALWAYS falls backward, NEVER forward.

I called Amarillo for the 3rd time to check the status of our Neuro consult and was told it was denied and sent back to our hosp.. I called our "means" dept. at the VA and asked why. I was told that since he signed up after 2003 he wasn't eligible for Group 8 (all nonservice-connected and zero % non-compensable service-connected veterans who agree to pay copays).

Let's see...he's been in that catagory for 4 years and they are just now remembering that "rule"?!?!?! I thought maybe they meant that he just couldn't be seen at another facility so I asked if he could still be seen here...."NO!!!"

All I can say is, it's a good thing I don't own a gun 'cause I honestly think I could have used it that day.

This is a man who served 4 years in the Air Force as a flight line mechanic ... how do we know that 4 years of inhaling those jet fuel fumes didn't contribute to his PSP !!!!

I thought the VA was supposed to be for EVERY person who served our country (unless dishonorable discharged).

I have a letter started to out states rep and the same will be sent to senator (who fought to keep our VA hosp alive) and on up the food chain.

I'm well known for my Letters to the Editor here so if this is not resolved you can bet I'll have another one written.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rita
Rita 4 Tom dx'd 2/05 sx for 5-6 years

Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles,
but it does ruin today's happiness.
Booker T. Washington (1856-1915)
pearlmckee

Postby Crazy Mary » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:48 pm

Rita,Boy can I relate to your problems with the VA. While Bruce was alive we fought and fought for his benefits. We were finally awarded in home health care two weeks before he passed. They gave us two days and then sent me a bill for over a hundred dollars. Now I have been trying to get my widows pension sense september of last year.
I have contacted politicians etc. to no avail. So if you can find someone who cares and will do something let me know. They talk a good game and then slap you in the face.
Bruce was forced into retirement 1995 after twenty years serving on submarines. He was over exposed to radiation,{which upon research I found out causes nuerological disorders} along with other things he had open heart surgery as well while serving. It obviously wasn't sucessful because they had to cardiovert him several times before they forced him to retire.
I don't know where you are from but the VA here in ST.Louis is a joke. I can't understand how our politicians and our country can do this to our Veterans. It might give you a little more understanding on what is going on right now if you read the Bio on the Secretary of Veterans Affairs. I was shocked to find out that the company that now is placed to decide benefits etc. he is or has been on the board of. Talk about double dipping.
Oh and for info all widow claims for benefits now go to Milwaukee Wi.
I took care of my husband without their help because they didn't give a damn period they used him abused him and then they lost him. Yes I am angry at this,as well as what they are doing to our new veterans.
They certainly do not care that I and other widows are living on near to nothing while they all line their pockets with money that should be going to care for our Veterans.
I do find a problem with the co-pays for our Veterans as well. They should be getting free care period. The fact is that when claims are filed they are lost in the black hole they use to frustrate us into giving up. I filed the same papers and sent the same papers also filing for hardship and expidition of my claim eight times because they kept insisting they weren't getting anything. Now that they have denied DIC I now am told I have to refile again for my widows pension because they no longer have that paper work Duh.
Oh and they have to make sure I qualify again by the time Bruce served,my income etc. which is what we did eight months ago. Also they told me they had sent the denial letter two weeks ago and I still don't have it,which I need to be able to have a lawyer appeal for me. I have no intention of dealing with any of the Veteran groups again as we have tried that before. Bruce asked me not to give up when we refiled in May of last year.So I am hanging in no matter what they throw at me and believe me it is frustrating.
Do not let them cause you to quit keep fighting for the things you need. Keep asking why, call everyday if that is what it takes,but do not quit.
Believe it or not sometimes by not quitting we become enough of a pain that something can change.
Mary
wife of Bruce 54 years old diag.2003 symptoms since 2001. Freed of PSP on Aug. 19th 2008
Crazy Mary

Postby Crazy Mary » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:49 pm

Rita,I just wanted to add to what I was letting you know was going on with the VA here. Today finally they sent the denial letter for DIC. Their reasons for denial of course are rediculous but what really plain pxxxxx me of was the fact that out of the twenty years he gave to this country. They couldn't even give him credit for that they got their records wrong and of course couldn't read the DD214's they received DAH!! They only credited him for seven years!!!!!!!
How dare they do this to him!! He who would have crawled out of that bed had the order been given,when he was able. If they think for one minute this is going to fly they are out of their minds. If they thought I was a pain before well I have only begun to become a pain.
They took enough from him they will not take that as well. I don't know who these people are going over are paper work but they better get people who can read. Also out of over one hundred pages of evidence they are saying they only recieved ninety three. I guess times sending the same thing wasn't quit enough.
I'm sorry but I just had to vent on this one and in the morning will get to work on fixing another one of their screwups.
Mary
wife of Bruce 54 years old diag.2003 symptoms since 2001. Freed of PSP on Aug. 19th 2008
Crazy Mary

vaproblems

Postby ruthkri » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Dear Mary and Rita, I must be so fortunate to have found the help I needed from the VA. My request for widow's pension was deniedbecause you cannot have an income of more than $7700 a year and must prove that you have medical expenses to deduct from your income. I went out to the VA and talked to the young man in the Purple Heart Division and he had a conference with another person in the reviewing division and came up with a great plan. Mary you should ask for help with Aid and Dependence. If you call me I can tell you what they suggested. You certainly can qualify. I do not want to write the details here. They are totally legal and I was told the correct words to use to change your status. Rita , I also found out before my husband died that I could use a
private primary care doctor and receive all my meds and supplies from the VA . I do not know how old your husband is but if he is on medicare then you have no problems. I do have a suppliment and all co-pays were covered. No -one will tell you these things I did find several years
after I had privately paid for so much. My number is 612-869-1190. It
is too bad that so many work the system and guys like you all really do not know the ins-and outs. Good luck. Think good thoughts from spme-one who has been there. Getting amgry and frustrated does no-ne any good. Hugs to you both Ruth Kri
wife of Bud who received his golden wings March 4, 2007
And now abideth Faith, Hope and Love and the greatest
of these is Love
ruthkri

Postby Crazy Mary » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:55 pm

Ruth,I chose to stir the pot so to speak and called DC. I ended up getting three denial letters for DIC and was told I would have to reapply for the widows pension. So I am in the process of ruffling feathers here. If they don't want to give me the pension that's one thing but insulting Bruce's service he gave to this country is another. I am now required to fill out more of their forms. Oops they forgot to send those,when I get them I will probably get three.
I was told when Bruce passed away I wouldn't qualify for Aid and Attendance,but who knows. I know that I am not going to be able to work a regular job anymore. I did apply for my disability but I haven't paid anything in so long that I don't have anything any more. It's strange how you can work for years and then if something happens and you are out of work for whatever reason you lose it. They don't take into account family problems etc. and keep that money you paid in for you. I hope whoever benefited from my working all those years got the help they needed.
I copied your e-mail and will try to call Ruth. I am glad that your VA seems to be more caring than ours. I pray for changes because there are so many of our guys and gals who are or have given and are now being ignored.
Mary
Crazy Mary

Postby Crazy Mary » Sat May 30, 2009 12:54 am

Rita and Ruth,
Rita I hope things are better for you with the VA.
Ruth my persistence has I am told paid off. I am to recieve the regular pension in just a few days. However it did take a few more calls to DC.
I also got them to straighten out Bruce's service record. I just can't get over the fact that he has 5 DD214s. I guess the longer you are in you get one for each time you reup.
I'm learning more and more all the time and I found that with all the things they were putting me through was just so overwhelming that I was losing control of the situation. I wasn't thinking so I took a step back and took a few days to think about how to handle it. Then went back to it.
I found three main people who were willing to work with me and stayed with them. It's funny though that in the process we found out that someone somewhere had put in an order not to work my regular widows pension and even though I had qualified for it,it was just sitting. I have had to appeal the DIC and am waiting on a letter from another one of Bruce's Docs to send them. I also copied everything again and highlighted the things they are saying hadn't happened to him that were in the papers I have been sending them all along. So maybe they will read them this time. Who knows.
I still get angry at the thought of how our military is treated and feel they need much much more. But I also know I can't take on the world all at one time.
Mark called from Irag and hopefully will be back in the states in the next couple of months. I think I will feel better when he's back. I can't wait until he can come for a visit,he's grown into a wonderful person a man to be proud of.
Thankyou Ruth for encouraging me and Rita keep going at them don't let up,it's the only way to get things done.
Mary
Crazy Mary

va

Postby ruthkri » Sat May 30, 2009 12:27 pm

Hi Mary, Good for you!!! Hope you will hear real soon and get a nice check. I was at the VA the other day to fight again and it is something you have to do, unfortunately. But so what else is new? Hugs to you
friend. Love Ruth
wife of Bud who received his golden wings March 4, 2007
And now abideth Faith, Hope and Love and the greatest
of these is Love
ruthkri

Re: VA Healthcare...

Postby nicole4keneth » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:04 am

pearlmckee wrote:I am SOOOO angry with the VA system right now I could spit!!!

DH's PSP symptoms started ~ 1996 but, because of his stubborn streak I could NOT get him to the VA to sign on until 2004 when we moved here to TX. We filled out all of the paperwork and, because of our savings, he has to pay $25 for each office visit and $8 for each Rx...not a problem.

Well, March 26th he saw yet ANOTHER new primary care doc who ordered a modified barium swallow, a 4th follow-up with the neurologist at the VA Hosp. a 4 hour drive from here, and a consult with the physical therapy department. This doc feels like in about 2 years I'll either need help with him at home or he would need a nursing home.

We got the Ba Swallow done with aspiration of fluids only...thickeners and "therapy" suggested. We saw the physical therapist who set up twice a week therapy for a month with re-evaluation after that time. I have his U-step set so he leans SLIGHTLY forward and she thought it should be higher - I would educate her on the fact that he ALWAYS falls backward, NEVER forward.

I called Amarillo for the 3rd time to check the status of our Neuro consult and was told it was denied and sent back to our hosp.. I called our "means" dept. at the VA and asked why. I was told that since he signed up after 2003 he wasn't eligible for Group 8 (all nonservice-connected and zero % non-compensable service-connected veterans who agree to pay copays).

Let's see...he's been in that catagory for 4 years and they are just now remembering that "rule"?!?!?! I thought maybe they meant that he just couldn't be seen at another facility so I asked if he could still be seen here...."NO!!!"

All I can say is, it's a good thing I don't own a gun 'cause I honestly think I could have used it that day.

This is a man who served 4 years in the Air Force as a flight line mechanic ... how do we know that 4 years of inhaling those jet fuel fumes didn't contribute to his PSP !!!!

I thought the VA was supposed to be for EVERY person who served our country (unless dishonorable discharged).

I have a letter started to out states rep and the same will be sent to senator (who fought to keep our VA hosp alive) and on up the food chain.

I'm well known for my Letters to the Editor here so if this is not resolved you can bet I'll have another one written.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rita

I think that VA healthcare and hospital is good. Not only famous but also great one, right?

Postby Crazy Mary » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:11 am

I'm sorry but I don't quite get what you are trying to say here? If you don't agree with what is or has been said thats okay. You have a right to your oppinion. But our experiences are not isolated ones.
Personally I feel that if we go to web sites for Veteran's affairs and the Presidents comment lines and let them know how our Veteran's are being treated it may make a difference. Maybe not for me and No not for Bruce but maybe the ones coming home and their families.
I was at the cardiologists office Wed. and struck up a conversation with a 22 year Veteran of the Navy reserve. She told me that when she got out she went to work at the VA and after finding records and letters shoved behind desks from years back and trying to fix the problem atleast in her area. The frustration was too much and she was no longer there. There are people who care and want to do their job and help those that need help. But there are those who just don't care and those people are the ones that make life harder for people like myself and others that need that help.
The VA was created to help Veteran's and their families which would be a good thing and in some cases is. But personally after trying to help my Uncle get help from them,then Bruce and now myself. I have definitely learned good and the bad of it. There is a lot that is broken and a lot who are being forgotten and to me that is unforgiveable.
After years of dealing with them it is hard not to be bitter,when our loved ones are treated badly or get inadequate care.
Now I'll crawl off my soap box. I hope that I don't upset anyone but I am speaking from experience mine and others who have been caught up in this system.
Mary
Crazy Mary

Return to The Back Porch