Tim Found His Healing in Heaven

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tim Found His Healing in Heaven

Postby KDupree » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:31 am

On Sunday, August 18, 2013, at around 4:12 AM, here at home my beloved Tim, age 58, took his final breath here on earth with a smile on his face and took his next breath in heaven where he found his healing from PSP. He endured a long week of rapid decline. Every moment was covered in prayer. It was still a physically exhausting time for us. My family is still recovering from the long hours spent by his bedside, but we wouldn't have had it any other way. We loved Tim deeply and wanted to fulfill every desire he had voiced before he became ill. We did our best. His home-going was celebrated on Wednesday, Aug. 21, with worship and the challenge to seek the One Tim so passionately loved. Tim had over a thousand friends and family to come pay their last respects. He would be proud to know so many thought so much of him. The funeral home helped to make the brain harvesting procedure go smoothly. We are expecting results in a few weeks. Thank you Mayo and all involved who work to find answers to this horrible disease. We have had money donated in Tim's memory and I hope to do more for the cause after I complete the last details of his passing. I wasn't sure how I would be after his passing. I tried to grieve along the journey to better prepare for it, but still wondered how I would handle it. The best I can say about it for now is this- every moment in the journey was covered in prayer and because every moment after his death continues to be covered in prayer, I feel strong arms of love literally carrying me when I need it so I stay strong to finish this. I miss my Tim. We were married 40 years. Married life is all I know, so the next page of the book is blank to my eyes since nothing of yesterday works as it did before. One of the nuggets of truth I gathered along the way though is that I don't have to see the whole page or chapter. I just have to trust the path is there and start walking it out. God takes care of ordering the steps as long as I trust Him. That gives me peace. A peace to know Tim is dancing and shouting in heaven and a peace to know I am going to be alright. The Lord has good things in store for me. I want to do everything I can to finish my own race. My Tim did and gained his crown! <><
Last edited by KDupree on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Husband 40 yrs, Tim, b.1955 diagnosed w/PSP in 3/2010; symptoms slurred speech/vision problems early 2009; misdiagnosis dementia of Alzheimer's type 2009; Homegoing age 58 on 08/18/2013. Pathology report-Mayo, Jacksonville-confirmed CBD not PSP.
KDupree

Re: Tim Found His Healing in Heaven

Postby Robin » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:07 am

Kathy,
My condolences to you and your family on your sad loss. I'm relieved Tim's suffering is over. You are an amazing person to have gained so much from your husband's illness. Thank you for donating Tim's brain as that helps all of us.
Robin

(I would appreciate knowing who the pathology technician is and the name of the funeral home. Never know when another family in your area would find that info helpful.)
Robin

Postby KDupree » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:29 am

Robin-Thank you. Frederick-Dean Funeral Home in Opelika, AL was in charge of the details. Lee Pathology was used for the brain harvest. Their assistant came and actually performed the procedure with the mortician. We had been concerned about the weekend causing problems with the procedure, but because we had made plans prior to Tim's death and had kept open communication with all involved-the parties here and with those at Mayo-everything was handled correctly. We were able to have an open casket as well. Frederick-Dean did an excellent job of concealing the incision made by the pathologist. Also, we know of another person here in the community who has been diagnosed with PSP. I hope to visit them again soon and encourage the brain donation. There were 2 other elderly people diagnosed with PSP who died recently that did not do the brain donation. They didn't live here until they came to live here with family. It seemed unusual to "know" of so many people diagnosed with PSP at the same time Tim was battling the disease. If you need more info I will be glad to give them.
Husband 40 yrs, Tim, b.1955 diagnosed w/PSP in 3/2010; symptoms slurred speech/vision problems early 2009; misdiagnosis dementia of Alzheimer's type 2009; Homegoing age 58 on 08/18/2013. Pathology report-Mayo, Jacksonville-confirmed CBD not PSP.
KDupree

Postby eplowman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:31 pm

Kathy,

Thank you for keeping us updated. I regret the loss of your beloved Tim. You will miss him much, but you know his suffering is forever gone, and you know where he is, and that must be a source of comfort for you. He must have been much loved and appreciated in the community to have had ~1,000 friends and family members gather together in his honor and memory. It's a little unusual for PSP to claim someone in their 50s, but not unheard of. May all God's best be yours in the days ahead.

ed p
|My wife of 56 years was Rose b. 1930, dx 1999, symptoms from 1997; d. 06/21/08; PSP-rs autopsy confirmed.
eplowman

Postby KDupree » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:38 pm

Thank you Ed. Yes, Tim was very much loved by all. In business he made contact with many people due to traveling and because he had lived here since high school, he had developed long term friendships too. His fight to overcome the disease was a phenomenon to all. I think the hardest part of watching the progression of the disease with Tim was his loss of speech early on. He started showing symptoms late 2008-early 2009 and was diagnosed Mar. 2010. His neurologist said he thought the PSP was a fast progression type. We will know for sure soon and I will update once we have that info. God bless.
KDupree

Postby CarlaL48 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:25 am

Kathy --

I am deeply sorry about the loss of your beloved Tim. I will be sending up prayers for you and yours during this time of sorrow. Your faith is inspiring, and He is enduring. One of the Scriptures that has sustained me thus far in the course of this disease -- Matthew 11:28-30.

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

God bless you, my dear.

Carla
CarlaL48

Postby KDupree » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Thank you, Carla. We are taking each day as it comes. Some moments easier than others. I have found scriptures throughout the journey to stand on. Those have changed my focus sending it towards the Lord and away from the circumstances so I don't dwell on them for overly long. May you continue to find a source of strength there too.
God bless,
Kathy
KDupree

Postby KDupree » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:09 pm

If you read my earlier post about Tim, you know we have been waiting on the autopsy report from the Mayo Clinic. The results are in. Dr. Dixon reported the confirmation of CBD. I am glad Tim's neurologist called to discuss the results. Although I always thought Tim had symptoms that fit more than one disease, maybe MSA and PSP, I didn't expect CBD. He did not exhibit an alien hand symptom, but did lose his ability to speak very early. According to Dr. Roberson, Tim had a clinical presentation of PSP, but his pathological report shows confirmation of CBD. Truly, I was puzzled. At this time I am keeping it all in this mindset like I read in the information on the related diseases or as the neurologist discussed- CBD and PSP can only be accurately determined with an autopsy. There isn't enough to know at this time if CBD and PSP are two faces of the same disease much like two sides of the same coin. Regardless of what the pathology results are, I wouldn't change anything in our care of Tim except to record his speech that first year so my grandchildren would be able to hear their Papa's voice and remember him when he could speak. Of the four grandchildren, two of them never heard his voice. However, all were able to show him their love almost daily with hugs and words of their own. Up until the end, Tim was able to slightly hug them back and once in awhile smile when they lay in bed with him to watch cartoons. We are approaching the 6 mth mark since his passing. The longer he is gone the more we miss him. I continue to be thankful for all of the years we shared together and for all of my family, my church, my friends, and my community who supported us while Tim was sick and even today support me as I learn to live without him.
KDupree

Return to Grief Support