"For Some Caregivers, the Trauma Lingers"

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

"For Some Caregivers, the Trauma Lingers"

Postby Robin » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:31 pm

This post in Thursday's "The New Old Age: Caring and Coping" blog in the New York Times is about former caregivers suffering a form of post-traumatic stress after their loved ones die. Symptoms can include flashbacks, "numbness, anxiety, guilt, dread, depression, irritability, apathy, tension and more."

But a Stanford professor of psychiatry notes that there is "little evidence that caregiving on its own caused post-traumatic stress. But if someone is vulnerable for another reason — perhaps a tragedy experienced earlier in life — this kind of response might be activated."

Many former caregivers in our local support group (myself included) experienced a year or more of flashbacks or intrusive memories after the deaths of our family members, but I'm not sure that anyone experienced most of the other symptoms of post-traumatic stress. For me and some other group members, over time we were able to stop these intrusive memories, which was a relief.

A book is mentioned below - "The Emotional Survival Guide for Caregivers." It may be worth purchasing.

Robin

http://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2013 ... a-lingers/

The New Old Age: Caring and Coping
NY Times
January 30, 2013, 6:14 am

For Some Caregivers, the Trauma Lingers
By Judith Graham

Recently, I spoke at length to a physician who seems to have suffered a form of post-traumatic stress after her mother’s final illness.
Robin

Return to Grief Support