sadness

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

sadness

Postby jmartinez » Sun May 24, 2009 12:41 am

My mom was recently diagnosed with PSP. It took about 2 years to finally diagnose it but I am very scared about how fast the illness is progressing. She sometimes has ok days and other days were I get very worried. I visit her and my father every Friday night so that I feel like I will be able to have as much time with her as possible. Sometimes I get really sad because she used to be such an independent, outgoing, strong woman. I have always looked up to her independence, confidence, and ability to connect with anyone. My mom now has a flat affect, difficulty responding in conversation and difficulty walking. My dad is working on getting a service dog to assist her in her balance and we have a friend coming over for a few hrs per week. Unfortunately, the dog will take over a year to train. I feel very sad that she is unable to drive and I wish I could be with her more often. For others that have experienced PSP, what kind of services do you reccomend to help? I think the dog will make a huge difference but I wish she was able to get out more. She still is a wonderful mother and I feel so lucky to have had her. Any suggestions for services? I would appreciate any ideas. Thank you!
jmartinez

Postby eplowman » Sun May 24, 2009 7:09 pm

Many of us have experienced the sorrow and sense of helplessness as we watched our loved one lose more and more abilities. So, you are among caring and understanding folks who know what you are going through.

It would be nice for your mom to have a dog as a pet. But it would be of no use in helping her to maintain balance. Your father would be ill-advised to spend a lot of money with that in mind.

Could you repost your query over in the General Discussion section? It will be read by more people, and you'll get more responses.

ed p.
|My wife of 56 years was Rose b. 1930, dx 1999, symptoms from 1997; d. 06/21/08; PSP-rs autopsy confirmed.
eplowman

Return to Grief Support