Where is everyone?

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Where is everyone?

Postby willru602 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:25 pm

What's a matter...too cold fer Porch Settin' ...ah ain't never seen it so quiet out cheer...

So much goin' on inside ma house, ah ain't had time to tell y'all bout some uv my ventures..but maybe soon...

Somebody git out cheer and git thangs goin'! The trick is to git in the rockin' chair and start rockin'...keeps ya warm and gits yore brain a thinkin' bout thangs...makes ya wanna talk...so git to rockin' and a tellin'....

Ru
http://photobucket.com/albums/i76/willru602/
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31
willru602

Postby Crazy Mary » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:43 am

RU,I haven't been on much I miss the old group of fun people myself, I read your posts when I do get on you are such a hoot :lol: . I love your stories.
I have to tell you girl it is too too cold for porch sitting around here right now. Pepper who hates the rain and has to be carried out to go when it's raining though Loves the snow. I just can't figure that one out.
You know I use to talk about how Bruce and I would watch the birds feed in the morning while drinking our morning coffee. Well I still watch the birds in the morning. However I have a small bench in front of the window and now the cats and Pepper watch with me. I took a couple of pictures of them watching them together,imagine that two cats and a dog sitting on a bench watching birds together. If only we could all get along like they do.
I have to tell you they pretty much run the house, I got a couch and a love seat in the livingroom and they still push me to a small spot to sit. I also have to take toys off the bed when I get ready to lay down. You would never know that Bud had come out of the woods and was a wild cat he acts like a king now. They are good company and are comic relief at times.
Hope we can get some more people on here again,hey if nothing else we can compare how much snow we are all getting or not.
Mary
wife of Bruce 54 years old diag.2003 symptoms since 2001. Freed of PSP on Aug. 19th 2008
Crazy Mary

Postby eplowman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:39 am

We had an official 34 inches here, halfway between Leesburg, Va. and Dulles Airport.

I awoke Sunday morning, threw open the curtains, and looked out on a spectacular snowscape. The storm had passed through to the northeast, the sun was shining in a sparkling clear sky, only the tops of fences in the neighboring backyards were visible.

We have a basketball rig on the patio outside my walkout basement apartment. And there, rising from the netted basketball hoop and towering halfway above the backboard, was the largest snowcone I've ever seen! :shock:

All churches in metro D.C. by Saturday afternoon had canceled all services and activities for the entire weekend. I "went to church" in my PJs on TV. Alas, Joel Osteen's televised service (from the former sports arena in Houston, where 16,000 attend) was preempted by local TV channel 5 in Washington to give us instead -- an extended report on weather conditions in our area. :)

With about three feet of snow on the ground, the small contractor pickup trucks with plows were useless for clearing most neighborhood streets. It's Monday as I write this, and our street remains unplowed. Several SVU owners tried to navigate the street on Sunday afternoon, but had to give up.

A larger county truck and plow cleared a lane of a connecting street a block from us.

The local hospital five miles away dispatched a rent-a-tractor to open one of the nearby neighborhood streets to intersect the now open connecting street to permit a nurse to get to work. This weekend would have been the wrong one to choose to be in need of medical care.

My son's four-wheel-drive crew cab pickup, with a load of fireplace logs in the truck bed (to add weight for traction) was parked at the curb, behind my car, which could easily have been mistaken for a snow drift. :) My son and grandson worked most of the day clearing a path on the sidewalk, and then shoveling open the curb lane for about 70 feet behind the pickup. Intermittently, he would back the pickup along it to pack down remaining snow. But the wall of unshoveled snow at the back was unyielding. Late in the day, they finally shoveled open the curb lane far enough to reach the plowed connecting street, which led out to plowed main parkways. The family piled into the pickup, backed out into the intersection, and went out to a supermarket 1/2 mile away to celebrate their liberation. :)

The main highways, though plowed, are still treacherous. The temps are in the single digits at night, and lingering around the freezing mark during the day. Our local gov'ts are not equipped to handle snow like this. We need front loaders and other lifting equipment to pick up snow and haul it away, like what happens in the upper midwest and northeast.

Southwest Airlines on Saturday night canceled my Monday flight to Oregon from Dulles Airport. Good thing. Government offices and many businesses around here are still closed today (Monday), and schools may be closed all week. People can't get to work. If Dulles had been able to free the runways of ice and the gate areas of snow by today (Monday), any plane would have left with a huge number of empty seats. I am rebooked for tomorrow morning, Tuesday, and thanks to my son, I'll be able to get to the airport. Another storm will be coming through Tuesday evening and Wednesday. It's the same one that hit Southern California with rain, flooding, and much damage this past weekend. It is riding the jet stream across the country via Texas, then will collect more moisture as it barrels northeast into freezing temperatures.

It is in the mid-50s in Oregon (I'll be visiting one of my sisters who is suffering from Huntington's Disease and not doing well). It will be great to thaw out! Then I'll be spending the better part of a week in Redding in northern California to work on a magazine article. And, then, oh joy!, on to San Diego for 10 days!

(I shipped a box of =summer= clothes and shoes on ahead to await my arrival there for beach trekking and other fun activities with friends and my oldest daughter. On the side, a co-author and I will be interviewing widowed couples who have remarried or are dating. We have a book in mind, with the theme, "Finding Life and Love After Loss." We've already massed a number of VERY interesting stories of widows and widowers who have happily connected and are in this new phase of life. Kids on both sides, finances, living arrangements, and health concerns are among the major topics we are exploring. All of our couples enjoyed a reasonably happy and "normal" marriage to their departed spouses. I'll stop here before giving away too many secrets. :D )

I should be able to visit the forum at least twice a day while on the road. So, speak up!

By the way, we had to put our rocker on the back porch into protected custody, away from the snow and cold. :(

ed p.
|My wife of 56 years was Rose b. 1930, dx 1999, symptoms from 1997; d. 06/21/08; PSP-rs autopsy confirmed.
eplowman

Postby willru602 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:09 am

Wow! Ed..you can't even get to the porch with all that snow up there in the N.E.! You needed a snow mobile to get around...wonder if those things come with an enclosure and storage space for groceries, luggage, etc. haha...How interesting to hear how people manage at times like this.

I remember having near 24 inches of snow down here some years ago and I was not thrilled about it because we certainly are not equipped to get around. Luckily, it melted away in a day or so and things returned to normal. I like my snow on a postcard not in my driveway! ha

Thanks for sharing that story.

And when you get that book together, we will all want a copy...wish it was already available because I have a dear friend who is a very attractive lady at age 75...who would love to read it...She's registered on this Forum, lost her husband to MSA in 2000 and is very lonely. We need to know the "secrets" of Finding Life and Love After Loss!

Hey....that might be a good (NEW) discussion topic for this Forum?? lol Instead of Dear Abby, we could address it to Dear Ed! What do you think? haha

Ru (Keep Rockin')
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31
willru602

Postby willru602 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:05 pm

Mary, it's good to see you on the Porch for a short spell...we don't get snow down here much but as I've watched the weather reports this winter, seems to have snowed places that never got any or much! Snowed in N. AL wherre our grandchildren live but we only got the rain and cold!

I can visualize you, Pepper and the cats as you sit there and watch the birds. How relaxing that sounds. I've always heard that animals are good for loneliness...I don't have any pets but we'd always had them before we moved to Opp. They are very entertaining and make me laugh. I love the animals on Funny Videos...Right now, I just don't seem to have time to care for an animal...but one day maybe.

Stay well and warm....and keep in touch. My email address is
backyard at oppcatv.com.... left the symbol out as advised sometime earlier...but you get the picture...Ru
willru602

Postby Crazy Mary » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:06 am

RU, Yes the cats and Pepper are a God send. We've had more snow this year than we've had in a long time. Personally I don't like it,too much work. We do like any body would to prepare ahead of time. I always keep salt and that driveway heat it works real well. I have 4 wheel now and so I don't worry too much about getting out if it's just snow.
When Bruce was with me I would get prepared because the electric is always going out around here. I had the kerosen heater the battery operated fans and lights and we used our camping equipment. I remember the time we were out of electric for three or four days boy that was a trip. Bruce in a wheel chair and on O2 as well as all the other equipment. But we got through it.
We have tornados come through here ever so often,I remember one time I was afraid we were going to get hit. Poor Bruce I had him in the middle of the room with blankets on him so I had him protected as best I could. I thought I was being smart. He was getting a little aggravated at me,after he told me I was paranoid which he did often, He asked me what he was suppose to do if something happened to me. As I was pacing around like a nervous cat. I wasn't thinking about me. However he made a good picture sitting there covered from head to toe with all the blankets I could pile on him. :)
I've been stocking up on cat and dog food which now seems to cost as much or more than what I spend on food. So I guess if we get too much snow and I can't get out I could always have an entree :lol: Thier food don't smell too too bad.
Ed we haven't had that much snow around here sense I was in school. I remember it because we made and igloo and all the kids on our block were playing in it. I can't imagine doing that now. Something I have notice you don't see the kids out playing in the snow like we use to. My goodness we use to have a ball. Even Bruce and I were known to have a snowball fight or two.
Now that I am older though it is too much work to clean the driveway porch and get out to feed all the varments around here when it snows.. If it would snow and leave me a path I didn't have to shovel or it wouldn't snow on the car that would be great. Boy what a dreamer I am huh?
You all take care and stay warm.
Mary
wife of Bruce 54 years old diag.2003 symptoms since 2001. Freed of PSP on Aug. 19th 2008
Crazy Mary

back porch

Postby Alice Gillam » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:50 pm

Here in my part of Michigan we got 10 inches of snow along with a lot of wind. I live in the country and I have a big lab and three cats that live outside. When I go out to feed them we take a walk first, through the snow and each time I follow the same tracks from my last time walking and after a few times it makes a pretty nice even path, I even make sure the sides are straight with the side of my boots. Even to our extra out-buildings, of course the dog doesn't always stay on the path but the cats sure do. You can't imagine the calmness I feel following my path. Then it snows and blows and I start over. [ Sometimes a person has to have fun with the simple things in life.] Husband is pwpsp.
Alice Gillam

Postby willru602 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:04 pm

Hey....guess what!! My yard is covered with SNOW...South Alabama!! We're about 25 miles from the Florida Panhandle and it has snowed all day...maybe a couple of inches...it's beautiful but I don't like it in my yard or on my streets! ha I'll post some pictures in my photobucket later. Neighbor next door even built a snowman about 5 foot tall! A rarity for Covington County...it's been more than 25 yrs. since we had this much snow....flurries at various times but no accumulation...Wow...kids have had a time at the stadium parking area which is sloped.
Ru
willru602

Postby Crazy Mary » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:16 am

Ha! you all living down south are getting it too. Well it started snowing again this evening. I took Pepper out earlier. After we came in the outside sensors went off. I can't believe the deer are out there eating instead of finding a warm spot to lay.
Alice how do you get the cats to stay with you when you walk. I've never had one do that,they pretty much just do what they want. Mine are inside but I couldn't even imagine them just taking a liesurely walk with me.
I went out this morning to check the feeders and let Pepper out. Well we got a surprise left for us. Those darn squirrells had chewed the string into on one of the bird feeders and of course it hit the ground. I am sure they now have enough food for two winters. :) They won't chew it into again unless they can chew through metal. I have two young ones that are making thier presence known too much.
I've tried scaring them off but they keep coming back,though they did stay away for the day after I took a shot at them. I just shot above the ones head and away they went. I don't want to kill them but if I can find someone who is willing to thin them out and will use the meat then away they will go.
I have never had a problem like this with them and they are getting too close to the house. They can really do some damage as well as the fact that they will bite. My Mom had found a baby squirrell that had fallen from a nest that was in a tree that we cut down, They are cute but when they get older they don't make the best pet. After she had basically taught this squirrell how to be a squirrell she released it. Believe it or not they would see her ever so often after releasing her.
Recently she did it again this time it was a male and he still comes around ever so often for a free meal. Their dog even knows the difference between him and the other squirrells which I thought was kind of neat. She has always had a special connection with animals. It's just one of the many things that make her so special.
Well I guess I'm gonna wrap up,maybe have a hot chocolate and hit the hay. You all stay warm!
Mary
Crazy Mary

Hi

Postby ruthkri » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:09 pm

Hi you al, I have been reading your posts and it is good to hear from you all. Yes SNOW! We have had our share and it is beauitiful but enough is enough. To top it off I have had a bad hip and knee and I am scared to death to go out on the ice and slush so it has been pretty much staying close to home. I do live in a high rise with lots of space and things to do
so I don't feel cooped up and the only plus is that I can't go out shopping and I am saving money. (Ha!) I have just about made up my mind that the walking impairment is stunting my activities and I should do something about it. The doctor says my knee hurts because my hip has degenerative arthritis but he says I'll call him when I am ready. Mayo Clinic sent out an article about hip replacement with a local instead of general anesthetic and so I might try that. Do any of you know anyone who has had this done? In the meantime everything else is status quo
going to Church , out with my kids, reading, cleaning and just one-day after another waiting for spring. So nice to hear from you- you kow it has been quite a few years that we have shared each others lives. Hugs to all. Ruth
wife of Bud who received his golden wings March 4, 2007
And now abideth Faith, Hope and Love and the greatest
of these is Love
ruthkri

Postby Crazy Mary » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:08 am

Well the sun was shining so bright this morning I thought for sure it would be atleast an okay day. But no such luck. As I was getting things ready for the art show this weekend I got a call. Bruce's Sister and the last of the Hamblin siblings was not going to be with us but a few hours at the most.
So I went straight to the hospital and they were right. I made two trips to the hospital due to errands. After I got home from the last visit I got a call she passed away at 9:30 this evening. She had been fighting many things and had expressed that she was tired. She also had developed several infections one of the bowel and that MRSA staff while in the hopital or nursing home. My heart broke for her husband as he told me how he was feeling during this time. I know how he is feeling and I know he just has to feel it and all we can do as family is be there if he wants to talk.
I know God has his reasons but this just feels like too much sometimes, Bruce was the youngest,his Sister that died last summer was the middle child and now the oldest all of them within a year of each other. I will do what I can to be there for the girls and the rest of the family. It will be a somber weekend.
I am to show my paintings this weekend at the art gallery in town. It's suppose to be a big deal and they require that the artist be there. But This artist may not be.
On a good note my oldest daughter who has chron's went to work today after being in the hospital for almost 20 days and then having me for 12 days and then another 3 weeks of recoop. She said it went better than she expected and I am so glad,she has really had a hard time. Besides that I found out during my time of caring for her and her family that it is no fun having one child teething,one wanting attention and the other a preteen.However it certainly wasn't boring.
With the bad there is the good,and for every tragedy there is miracle. I bet the Hamblin siblings are having one heck of a conversation right now.
Mary
Crazy Mary

Postby Robin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:02 am

Mary,
My condolences on this loss of another family member.
Robin
Robin

Postby Crazy Mary » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:09 am

Robin, Thankyou I appreciate the thought. My BIL is hanging in there and so are her kids. I check on him ever so often.
I went shopping for myself which is something I don't do often but it was out of necessity I have lost two pant sizes and without wearing one of Bruce's belts. Well lets say I am constantly hanging onto my waist band,which makes it hard to do things. I also got a new pair of shoes and had my hair done. A trim and color. Now here's something that I won't do too often,I had my eyebrows waxed.
Why is it that we women have to suffer like that? I know it has to be some man that was mad at his wife or girlfriend that comes up with this stuff. You have a choice pluck one at a time which hurts or take it all at one time which really hurts or bushy eyebrows. I think mine are going to be a little bushy before I do it again.
I went to my daughters afterward to visit and she had some friends there I got caught up in there conversations they were having about men and life. I know I'm getting old-er after that. I had to of course check in with Madi who was out in the back yard. She and a friend were playing in the mud with earth worms. They were sneaking water out to the worms so they wouldn't get thirsty. Thier hands and clothes of course were also full of mud. Madi was so proud of herself for helping the worms and held up both hands to show me how hard she had worked. I can imagine what Jen and her friends were saying when they saw those kids. I left without informing them.
I had Madi and the same little friend here with me the other day and they watched Planet 51. Madi proceeded to bring her friend into my room and told her they could play space ship on PePop's bed. They had a ball pushing the buttons on the remote and making the bed go up and down and then the massager. I listened to them from the other room, whoever had the remote was the captain. I know I shouldn't let them play with it like that but Bruce use to let Madi play with the remote,so I didn't have the heart to tell her nol I was thanking the Lord it was still working when they left. Madi definitely keeps life interesting,just like her Mother did when she was little. Her latest thing she wants to be when she grows up is a Vet pronounced by her Bet and thats a doggie doctor and sometimes they help cats too.
Okay that's my excitment lately,and I've gone on enough. Hope all are well.
Mary
Crazy Mary

Return to The Back Porch