In need of some good reading

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

In need of some good reading

Postby Crazy Mary » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:26 am

Lately things have been rough around here and I came on tonight hoping to catch someone here on the backporch. I always enjoyed reading what everyone else was up to. Where Are You!!!!
I hope going on trips and enjoying family. Between family disasters etc. I have managed to get some of my art work and crafts in a antigue store by the winery here.
I am hoping that I will sell a few things. I've taken Madi fishing a couple of times at the small lake in town. They have a couple of docks that are railed in so I don't have to worry about the kids falling in.
I took the other two small grandbabies fishing last week. They haven't really had anyone work with them and they are still young enough that they want to play more than fish. Anyway after a couple of times of them trying to cast on their own and almost hooking something that wasn't a fish. I took their hooks off and put some fake bait on the swivels. I thought I was being smart,but not so much. After playing for a short time they told me they were ready for the hooks again.
Now I also had my niece who was older and getting frustrated because she wasn't catching anything. So I pulled a quickie. I told her she could use my pole. I cast it out and after a short time I snag something. Now I wasn't sure what I had,but I handed over the pole to her and as soon as I did she realized she had something. The rod was an ultralite so she had a fight on her hands. She landed a nice size cat fish over a foot long. She was thrilled. I also snagged a couple of smaller perch for the others. Of course we were doing catch and release.
I have to be honest though. As much as I have fished over the years and always did the bait taking on and off and cleaning. I do not like to do cat fish. I got cut once and have seen others get cut pretty bad trying to take one off the hook. So when we landed this one and pictures were taken I embarassingly asked a man sitting not far from us if he could take the catfish off the hook.
I let him go through the whole lesson of telling me how to take it off.I didn't have the heart to tell him I knew how but was afraid of getting cut again. My sister who was there just stood there and smiled knowing why I wasn't taking it off and not volunteering herself to do it either.
Thank God for those Babies because without them I think I might have lost myself completely by now. They remind me of the things that brought me such joy when I was younger,and now when things are so rough. They help me relaxe a little and smell the roses.
Jeff
If you are reading this I read your post to Richard and I enjoy reading about your trips and am so glad you are still able to go.
Mary
wife of Bruce 54 years old diag.2003 symptoms since 2001. Freed of PSP on Aug. 19th 2008
Crazy Mary

Postby eplowman » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:38 am

Mary,

A delightful post. You are a natural story teller. You had us there.

You're lucky the young 'uns didn't decide to eat the bait! :D

Keep spending time with the kids. You are creating precious memories they'll keep coming back to for years. It'll keep you younger, too -- if it doesn't send you to an early grave yourself first !!! :)

Like a number of others here, you are demonstrating that there IS life beyond loss.

ed p.
|My wife of 56 years was Rose b. 1930, dx 1999, symptoms from 1997; d. 06/21/08; PSP-rs autopsy confirmed.
eplowman

srory

Postby ruthkri » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:20 am

Dear Mary, You are a special person and I applaud you. It is too bad that we have to force ourselves to go on but then again we had good models with our wonderful spouses who taught us courage and dignity.I too live with so many memories and find the only consolation is to make the effort to make some good memories for my kids and grandkids. Had my granddaughter over for dinner (she said she wanted home cooking) and we warched "Saving Grace" together. She warmed my heart so much when she said "Grandma I just love hanging out with you. I am so lucky to have a grandma living so close to me" Yes these are the things that make us a little less lonely. She is a college student and so caring .Next week my daughter is coming from California to give a seminar and we will have a a small family reunion. So my summer is getting me out of my rut and I am so looking foward to her visit. It is always good to keep in touch with all of my forum friends who understand each other so well., We can read between the lines Fondly, Ruth
Fondly.
wife of Bud who received his golden wings March 4, 2007
And now abideth Faith, Hope and Love and the greatest
of these is Love
ruthkri

Postby Jeff Hawkins » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:53 pm

Kia Ora Mary,

Nice to know someone reads my ramblings!!

Here's a rundown of the weekend activities. Up early on Saturday morning and off to watch granddaughter, Eva play netball and then across town to watch grandson, Ford play rugby. Most likely games that are not common in USA although you do have a national rugby team mainly centred around California. Home for lunch and a walk on the beach. We had 6 grandchildren stay overnight while their parents went out so the evening. First part was mainly a feeding frenzy as we fueled them up followed by some rather noisy games (I don't know what the neighbours thought!!) Got them all tucked up by 9.30 and then crashed ourselves! They may go to bed later than usual but they still started to stir at 6.00am on Sunday. Another feeding frenzy and more noisy games. (The neighbours have disowned us!!) Re-united them with their parents by midday and another walk on the beach. Watched an important rugby game between New Zealand (team is called the All Blacks due to black being our national sporting colour) and South Africa (Springboks) We lost. Nation in mourning!

My brother and his wife came for dinner on Sunday night so caught up with all of the family news (I have 3 brothers and 3 sisters. I'm the youngest)

After dinner watched a BBC programme called "A short visit to Switzerland" which is based on a true story about a doctor who had nursed her husband through a neurological disease only to be diagnosed with PSP herself. The story is about dealing with the disease and her decision to travel to Switzerland and have an assisted suicide. Very sobering programme. I know many are against assisted suicide and this was strongly stressed by some of the characters. This is a very well acted programme and it is worthy of a watch if you can get hold of a copy.

Weekend over. Crashed into bed at 10.30 (late for me!!)
Nohoia Kaha (Stay strong),

Jeff
Jeff Hawkins

Postby Crazy Mary » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:36 am

Jeff,
I know what rugby is but what is net ball? I am thinking maybe what we refer to as badmitton. Sounds like you had a house full and lots going on. I know what you mean about feeding frenzy.
When my kids were small we all ate the same thing,no special orders. That is unless it was a birthday or something, I just couldn't afford it. But now I find myself making different things for each grandbaby. I guess I've softened a little in my old age. I have to laugh a little when the girls tell me Mom you wouldn't have let us do that. Hey,now I'm the Grandma, :D .
I wish there was a way though to transfere some of thier energy my way. Just about the time I think they are ready to go down for awhile they get that extra boost. Where does it come from? I could sure use some.
Sorry about the loss,but there's always next year. I don't really follow sports much anymore but the Mark the girls and thier spouses do. It's mostly baseball but Jen loves Hockey as well.
I get BBC through the Satelite TV please let me know if they air that show again. I have wanted to see it.
Take care and keep going.
mary
wife of Bruce 54 years old diag.2003 symptoms since 2001. Freed of PSP on Aug. 19th 2008
Crazy Mary

Postby Jeff Hawkins » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:40 am

Hi Mary,
Netball is a bit hard to explain but if you logon to "nznetball.co.nz" you will get the general idea about how it works. You are right about grandchildren, they are wonderful creatures and you can spoil them and then send them home to their parents.
Nohoia Kaha (Stay strong),

Jeff
Jeff Hawkins

Return to The Back Porch