Happy May Day!

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Happy May Day!

Postby Beth » Fri May 01, 2009 10:59 am

It's been a while since I've been here, but have some news to report to any who remember me. Also, it is intended to say to all that there is life after PSP. The back porch is the place to share this, and I hope you can all toast my retirement! Today is my first day of the rest of my life, as was yesterday, BUT the rest of my life does not include working any more.

After 24/7/365 care of Mom, I jumped in to caring for the man I worked for (a dentist), not in a caregiving capacity, but somedays it felt like it. I knew more about the office than he did! Having been a teacher before caring for Mom, I've spent my life taking care of other people, and now I'm going to take care of myself.

I bought my dream cottage in Michigan, so will be moving up there for the summer in about two weeks. Too bad I'll miss the St. Louis heat and humidity!! My best friend of over 50 years who spoke at Mom's memorial service & who lives in Boston has the cottage across the road from me. Michigan watch out, there's going to be a lot of laughing going on this summer!

As she said at Mom's service about me, "well done, good and faithful servant"...she said again to me last evening as she spoke of how I timed my exit from work and took the care and time to train my successor. He'll hardly notice a bump in the road.

Please rejoice with me. I'm really excited!!

Beth
Beth

Postby cruzgal » Fri May 01, 2009 11:43 am

Congratulations, Beth! Retirement is a wonderful thing and after all you've been through the past few years, you DESERVE it! Enjoy your summer cottage and the fun and freedom that's in your future.

Safe travels,
Brenda
Beloved Mother-in-Law was PwPSP, dx Sept. 2008 at age 80, symptoms since early 2006.
Elizabeth C. b. 12/14/1927, d. 4/07/2012
cruzgal

Postby Robin » Fri May 01, 2009 12:14 pm

Beth,
Congratulations! Have a great summer!
Robin
Robin

Postby Crazy Mary » Fri May 08, 2009 12:29 am

Beth,I am glad to hear your news. Hope you enjoy the cottage in Michigan.
I noticed in your post,you said something about the St.Louis heat. Tell me were we neighbors and didn't know it. I leave south of St.Louis in Bonne Terre?
Enjoy Michigan and live life,you deserve it.
Mary
wife of Bruce 54 years old diag.2003 symptoms since 2001. Freed of PSP on Aug. 19th 2008
Crazy Mary

Postby Beth » Sat May 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Hi Mary,

We don't live too far away, and once I get back we'll have to get together, now that I don't have to be running off to work at all hours and for such long hours. I have a feeling that you will appreciate the next little bit of information about my cottage... A lot of the people up there name their cottages, some with Native American names (Lakota, primarily, since they were around the area), others describing where they are ( i.e. Woodsedge), and I was trying to figure out what I'd call mine.

In talking with my dear friend, remembering Mom and her most gracious and humble way of accepting her disease, I can remember most one thing. Whenever I asked if I could get her anything (thinking another pillow, some ice chips, something to "drink", thickened, she always had the same response, something no one else could understand but me. She wanted MORE TIME. In spite of everything, she loved life and wanted more. Needless to say, my cottage's name is MORE TIME. None of us knows how long we will have. To have the desire for more, even if the circumstances aren't perfect is indeed something I will strive for. She was a wise woman, and taught me to the end. It was indeed a privilege to care for her.

When I was up north years ago, I was given a Lakota name by the directors of the summer camp I worked for. How wise they were in the choice of the name as it played out to be accurate in my caring for Mom, its meaning being Kind and Giving, Waonsida.

And so until we meet in town, I'll carry you in my pocket as I walk the trails of moccasin wearing people who walked before us. There's a wonderful book, Walking with Grandfather by Joseph Marshall III about the wisdom of the Lakota Elders. I often thought of you as I read it, for I think many of the different tribes shared similar values, and you have crossed the bridge of becoming and elder, even though your years may not say so, but your devotion to and care of Bruce put you in their ranks. You have a great deal of wisdom to share.

Thanks for sharing my excitement Brenda, Robin and Mary!

Beth
Beth

Return to The Back Porch