A True Country Music Story

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

A True Country Music Story

Postby willru602 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:47 pm

Okay, all you country music lovers, come on down to the south end of the porch and grab a glass of sweet tea and a straight chair and listen up!
You ain't gonna believe this!

As I mentioned in my earlier post here, Will entered NH Rehab last Friday afternoon. Neither of us had slept much the night before in the hospital anticipating the move...so to say the least, we didn't really want any detours from normal procedure when we got to the NH. However, we don't always get what we want!

A care plan orientation meeting is always first step after getting in the door. Well...we waited and waited chatting with various ones who remembered us from our last stay. Then were informed that a big event was to take place at 3 p.m. which meant that the meeting would be later if at all...because supper comes at five and I had hoped to be outta there soon afterwards. It didn't happen...ha And they later told me to come back tomorrow for the meeting.

Well.....I parked Will's wheelchair in the front lobby near the hallway entrance while we waited for the big secret event. First a big black, top of the line, SUV pulled under the canopy out front and this slender fellow all dressed in a black silk suit, tie..the works got out and opened the door for a young cute gal who got out with another fellow and came in. They spoke to one of the staff members and disappeared.

Time rocked on and me growing more tired and aggitated we waited. Then!! Precisely at 3 p.m. I looked down the hallway which was lined with nurses, staff, workers, and residents...when none other than Hank Williams, Jr. was coming right at us with his company which included his photographer!! As cameras flashed Hank was touching and speaking to residents in wheelchairs and staff members. He was then scooted into the small conference room while the residents were wheeled into the dining area where he would perform for two hours!

My adrenalin began to pump and I wheeled Will into the dining room where he was able to get a front row seat. Hank, Sr. was from this general area so many of the older ones knew him in some capacity and Hank, Jr. talked about his dad between songs. He also said that he did 20 shows per year when and where he wanted to and that this one was by far one of his favorites. And I think he sincerely meant that!

As he started to leave the dining room, someone ask for a special song that he did not do...so he came back and did it...from that point, he stayed for all the residents or anyone who wanted a picture made with him, using his own photographer. They were lined up and he was so gracious...a real southern gentleman! Will had his picture made but his eyes were shut and he had his hands up trying to pry them open but too late.

Hank entered the dining room with no hat and no dark glasses until he sat on the stool, which broke, dropping his butt to the floor right in the middle of a song. He handled it like any good performer and said, 'well I'll be dog gone' and then to his 'caddy' he said, 'cuz, get me another seat'!

I would almost bet that Hank never played a NH before! ha But I honestly think his heart was touched by what he saw and felt. He did not let the staff know he was coming until two hours before arrival and they were sworn to secrecy because the building would not have held the people had the word go around.

We've been to Nashville, Branson and other places to see our favorite country stars but probably would have never paid to see Hank, Jr. So it was a nice treat to see him in person. And gals...while I didn't get in the picture making, I did get to hold his hand!! giggle

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Goodnight....Ru
http://photobucket.com/albums/i76/willru602/
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31
willru602

Postby Crazy Mary » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:12 am

RU, What a wonderful day that must have been for the patients. Bruce would have loved something like that. I'm sure I mentioned he was in a Bluegrass band while in the Navy and a band after. He loved music.
It's great that a day that started out not so hot ended up so nice. I hope Will is doing better. How about you?
Mary
wife of Bruce 54 years old diag.2003 symptoms since 2001. Freed of PSP on Aug. 19th 2008
Crazy Mary

country music

Postby Jeanie Kelley » Sat May 09, 2009 2:14 pm

Hi friends,
This is the first time I have talked to you in nearly two years. It was just too painful.
For some reason I clicked on today. It is a gloomy day in North Texas.
But the reason for the chat is that at Tommy's funeral the last song played was "Happy Trails To You." He loved country music.
You are all so precious and brave.
Hugs to all, Jeanie
Jeanie Kelley
Tom passed away on June 29th, 2007, brain autopsy said PSP and CBD.
Jeanie Kelley

Postby Robin » Sat May 09, 2009 2:38 pm

Jeanie,
Sorry to know that things have been difficult for you. Thanks for posting. Are you still doing your pottery business? (I hope I'm remembering that correctly.)
Robin
Robin

Return to The Back Porch