Transitioning to Skilled Nursing facility

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Transitioning to Skilled Nursing facility

Postby HelpingDad » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:49 am

Over the past few weeks it's become apparent dad has exceeded my care abilities. He is coughing / gagging more while eating, food already lightly pureed, liquids at near honey consistency. He also has issues with just his salvia. I am afraid he'll choke some night and I won't hear it and he'll not hit his "call button". I can't stay awake 24/7. I am also experiencing caregiver burn-out, even the respite care breaks don't help. Trying to balance dad's increasing care and my family's needs isn't working anymore, they are both getting short changed so to speak.

Dad has been 3rd on the list to the local state VA facility for months with nothing changing in sight. I toured several nursing home facilities and have decided to go private till a room/bed open at the VA.

Dad and I had a long talk about this and he agrees it's time. We had also planned on him going and even started the application process to state VA place about a year ago.

Ron
HelpingDad

Re: Transitioning to Skilled Nursing facility

Postby Robin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:09 am

Ron,
I know how sad this can be for families, having gone through it myself a few times with my dad (first to assisted living, then to skilled nursing, then to a special LTC facility). I hope your dad can settle in soon and that the benefits for you all will be obvious soon.
Best,
Robin
Robin

Return to General PSP Discussion