Coughing for hours

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Coughing for hours

Postby Katie1 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:59 pm

My husband in year seven with PSP. He coughs on mucous for hours. His breathing becomes labored. Hospice said to give him liquid morphine to help with the breathing and coughing. I did give him that tonight. Now he is semi sleeping and moaning. Anyone else dealing w this now?
Katie1

Re: Coughing for hours

Postby Robin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:03 pm

Katie,

I'm not dealing with this now but many local support group members have dealt with this. They have used liquid morphine (Roxanol) to calm breathing. You might also try a humidifier to see if that helps at all. Some people have tried suctioning the mucus.

Sounds nerve-wracking. Just do your best and know that you are showing your husband love and concern as no one else can.

Robin

PS. Sorry if I've mentioned this previously... If you intend to donate your husband's brain, now is a good take to make those arrangements. We can help, if you'd like. braindonation@brainsupportnetwork.org
Robin

Postby eplowman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:50 am

Katie,

I sure am hoping that YOU can get some rest amid all that is going on. And I hope and pray that your guy hasn't picked up the respiratory bug that seems to be spreading to so many people these days. I imagine you and hospice are tracking his temperature.

Don't be too alarmed by the moaning. It doesn't necessarily mean he feels pain or feels distress. And with morphine, it would be much less likely. In late-stage PSP, patients often moan without recognizing they are doing so. My late Rose often did, but mostly during daytime, and while watching TV with our caregiver. I would walk over to her and ask, "Are you okay?" She would immediately stop the moaning, and say "yes." I sort of interpreted the moaning as a subconscious way of trying to clear the throat, but I didn't really know that to be so.

Blessings and peace.

ed p.
|My wife of 56 years was Rose b. 1930, dx 1999, symptoms from 1997; d. 06/21/08; PSP-rs autopsy confirmed.
eplowman

Postby andrew81 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:21 am

M y Dad would cough for alot of the time towards the end of his journey. Having trouble swallowing. On thickend fluids but believe or not coke a cola could drink alot easier then water, think the bubbles must have help him to breath
andrew81

Postby HelpingDad » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:09 pm

My father coughs all the time, has for months. He does a nebulizer mask treatment 4 times a day and cough syrup when really bad.

I have been, per doctor, watching for signs of fever or rapid/shallow breathing. To me it seems like mucus and phlegm just hanging up in his throat. Warm tea with honey and lemon offers a short bit of relief.

Ron
HelpingDad

Return to General PSP Discussion