PSP and anesthesia

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

PSP and anesthesia

Postby Katie1 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:54 am

My husband in year six of PSP fractured his tibia and fibular. I opted for a cast from knee to toes. I was afraid of what anesthesia might do. Now I am second guessing. The little mobility he had, still able to transfer from motorized chair to chair he sleeps in, is not going well. He can't shower. I don't know what to do now. Shud I have risked having surgery? Anyone have anesthesia issues with PSP?
Katie1

Re: PSP and anesthesia

Postby eplowman » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:07 pm

Dear Katie1,

Second guess no more. If your husband had undergone surgery with anesthesia in his Year 6 of PSP, it's quite likely he'd be in much worse condition than he is at present, and permanently so.

We have had many reports of PSP patients who experienced a rapid progression of symptoms following surgery of any kind that involved the use of anesthesia.

Not knowing all of your life circumstances, it's hard to know what to suggest. The important thing is to ensure that he has adequate and proper care, whether by you, an able-bodied loved one, or a trained caregiver. (This point applies during the month and a half of the leg's normal healing process -- AND throughout the remainder of his life....)

Seek counsel from an orthopedist, family doctor, or a physical therapist with applicable rehab experience. Be sure that the professional understands that a person with advanced PSP lacks the ability (neurologically and physically) to "process" and carry out any "instructions." The professional's counsel and show-and-tell/how-to instructions are for the =caregiver= to implement.

Priority Number One, of course: no more falls. Anytime the advanced-stage patient is on the move, the caregiver should be on the move, too, providing assistance (while not endangering his or her own existence!).

The level of care required may or may not pose difficult challenges for the patient, his family, and caregiver(s). Love, understanding, and knowledge of the disease and its impact on him by his family will go a long way in helping him to cope.

As for showering, sponge baths while seated in the bathroom should work just fine, again with the caregiver's assistance (so that the patient can reserve his hands to maintain balance by holding onto grab bars). If the shower area is a standard tub and NOT a floored walk-in type, under absolutely NO condition should a PSP patient use it for bathing. Otherwise, the next sound you might hear is the shattering of the patient's skull.

It has happened to PSP patients of loved ones represented here in the forum over the years.

ed p.
|My wife of 56 years was Rose b. 1930, dx 1999, symptoms from 1997; d. 06/21/08; PSP-rs autopsy confirmed.
eplowman

Postby Robin » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:58 pm

Yes - "Second guess no more"! Many, many people in our local support group have never been the same since anesthesia. You are doing your absolute best. That's all anyone can expect of you.
Robin

Postby Katie1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:31 pm

Ed and robin,
Thanks to both of you for your response. Since I have been doing this for so long I would think I should be more positive in my role as advocate and caregiver. I have arranged for our first aide to come Monday to shower him. I need now to let go and let someone else handle him. And to say no to anesthesia.
This is so hard.
Every morning when I wake up I ask myself DO I REALLY HAVE TO DO THIS AGAIN?
Katie1

Postby grandmakcat » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:10 am

Katie,

I know how hard this is for you as the caregiver and for your husband. My heart and prayers go out to you. You aren't alone and are doing the best you can. I struggled with having an aide come in as well, but they were a blessing and it was a relief to have someone else help me and my husband. Also, having a second pair of eyes to see progression or changes day to day is a good thing. Hang in there Katie.

Ronnie
Husband Dennis 1952-2016 aged 64 - PSP diagnosis 2014 - first symptoms around 2009 / Vietnam vet / Cause of death - complications from PSP; aspiration pneumonia 7/9/2016
Husband Dennis 1952-2016 aged 64 - PSP diagnosis 2014 - first symptoms around 2009 / Vietnam vet / Cause of death - complications from PSP; aspiration pneumonia 7/9/2016
grandmakcat

Postby Kandis » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:59 am

My husband had a hernia that needed to be repaired, so he had surgery three days ago. I was very nervous about it, and we discussed the possibility of him declining for which he said he still wanted to go through with the surgery. Three days later I am finding him more spacey and everything seems to be more difficulty for him. Plus his tremors have gotten worse immediately after the surgery, I noticed it before we even left the hospital. I am hoping it is just the pain medication.
Kandis

Postby Robin » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:41 pm

Yes, I hope so too. It could've been the pain medication, the hospitalization, and the trauma of surgery.
Robin

Postby toddrfitz » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:39 pm

Hi Kandis,
Anesthesia fog certainly can have some lasting affects on people with PSP. When my dad had to have his appendix removed he was put under anesthesia. I noticed his symptoms (being out of it, having even more difficultly communicating, and his incontinence) got worse initially. Eventually the anesthesia fog wore off and he gained some ground back towards where he had been before the surgery. Hopefully in a few more days / weeks your husband will be able to shake the fog.
toddrfitz

Return to General PSP Discussion