Cough Assist Device

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cough Assist Device

Postby NickM » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:39 am

Greetings,

I was curious to know if anyone has used a "Cough Assist Device" for their loved one in order to clear phlegm caught in the throat. If so, have you found it to be beneficial?

Thank you
NickM

Re: Cough Assist Device

Postby JoB » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:14 am

Dear Nick:

I have not used the device, but here are some conclusions from the recent literature:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0061592/

"The results of this review do not provide sufficient evidence on which to base clinical practice as we were unable to address important short‐ and long‐term outcomes, including adverse effects of MI‐E [mechanical insufflation‐exsufflation]. There is currently insufficient evidence for or against the use of MI‐E in people with NMDs [neuromuscular disorders]. Further randomized controlled clinical trials are needed to test the safety and efficacy of MI‐E."

In other words, use at your own risk.

Courage, Joe Blanc
JoB

Postby NickM » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:09 pm

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your reply! I must say I am surprised by what the NIH has to say. Having seen some YouTube videos, it seems to help people cough out phlegm.

Best,
Nick
NickM

Postby Robin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:42 pm

I don't think anyone in the local support group has used such a device. People have used suction machines but that's different.

Maybe give it a try?
Robin

Postby daranch » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:17 pm

My husband has a cough assist device and it is wonderful. Medicare paid for it but it took months to process the order. When he caught a cold last year, he was hospitalized for 9 days total due to his inability to cough effectively any more. He had to be transported to a hospital in Portland because there are only 2 hospitals in Oregon that even have one. He was released when his cough assist device finally was delivered. He ended up right back in the hospital but we took it with him. All the doctors were fascinated by it. Linacre was the provider who supplied it but their respiratory therapist was totally unfamiliar with it. It's actually quite simple. It pushes air into the lungs and then pulls it out. We routinely give him treatment with the nebulizer, cough assist and suction every morning and evening. It will dry the passages but Toothette makes a good oral moisturizer spray that I buy from Amazon. Dave is just getting over a cold now and we've been able to avoid the hospital with the treatment every 4 hours. Even with all that, he started a dry, fairly unproductive cough that would go on for hours and just exhaust him. One of his caregivers brought her Aura Cacia peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils and her diffuser to try. What a difference! I mix some of both oils in fractionated coconut oil and rub a dab behind both ears, on his neck and chest, nose and the bottoms of his feet. I even put one drop of each in his nebulizer. He asks for a drop of the mixture in his mouth as well. I have to admit I had thought essential oils were a nice smelling gimmick but I'm a believer in them now. Peppermint is a bronchodilator and eucalyptus is an expectorant. The peppermint in the air is also very soothing. I finally felt calm after a week from hell. He actually slept last night for the first time in a week. I didn't think he'd be able to go to church this morning because of the coughing but the oils controlled it. I took the oil and some cotton pads. When he started coughing, I put a bit of the oil on the pad and had him breathe it in. He actually stuck the pad in his mouth to suck on. Not good. I had to pull it out of his mouth. We only had to wheel him out of the sanctuary once. More oil behind ears, on neck and chest, under his nose and in his mouth and he was able to return.
daranch

Return to General PSP Discussion